ABOUT TRANSFORMATIONAL TRAVEL
What is 'Transformational Travel'?
Transformational travel (or TT) is any travel experience that empowers people to make meaningful, lasting changes in their life. We have found from personal experience (and a little research) that when we leave home and set out on our own version of the Hero's Journey, there are often 3 critical parts of a truly life-altering adventure:
- Traveling with intention, openness, and mindfulness
- Engaging in challenging physical and/or cultural experiences
- Taking time for personal reflection & meaning-making
TTC's goal is to help bring these 3 elements together in order to radically increase the likelihood of you having a mind-blowing, life-changing travel experience. How? By offering support, coaching, advice, resources, and sometimes even a gentle get-off-your-butt-and-get-going nudge. We also provide access to some of the top tour operators and accommodation providers in the world ... those that are scrapping the typical itinerary to consciously design experiences that will transform your life.
Ready to take charge of your travel experience and unlock the transformational power of travel? Let's get started!
What does TT look like in action?
While the specifics of every TT experience – destination, trip length, group size, experiences and activities, etc. – are different, they tend to include all (or at least most) of the following:
- Venturing off to a place that is dramatically different from home
- Traveling with intention ... and yet still with an open mind and heart
- Purposefully engaging with the local people to learn about their culture
- Seeking out challenging physical, cultural, and/or spiritual experiences
- Inviting others into powerful conversations and sharing perspectives about life, etc.
- Taking time out for personal reflection (journaling, meditation/prayer, etc.)
- Making meaning and extracting lessons from your experiences
- Developing a plan for applying what you have learned into your life
For some people, solo travel is the best way to fully immerse themselves in the experience; for others, traveling in a small group creates a sense of community which supports them in using travels to change their life. There is no right or wrong way to do TT :)
What are the benefits of 'TT'?
How much time do you have? :) Though transformational travel, we are invited (and in some cases forced) to:
- Disconnect from the myriad of stresses at home (technology, work, people)
- Expand our worldview by connecting with new people, cultures, and ideas
- Develop a deeper and more empowered sense of self
- Find fresh perspectives of self, others, and the world
- Build lifelong relationships with those we meet
- Live with more purpose, passion, and meaning
These are just a handful of the benefits of transformational travel. Seriously, this list could go on for a LONG time!
Who is TT for? Can anyone have a TT experience?
Everyone! Whether you are young or simply young-at-heart, travel is the best and most exciting way to foster real growth, change, and transformation in your life. It can often open doors to opportunities and people and inspiration that we never would have had if we had stayed home. Many people travel when they seek something new in their lives – a job/career, relationship, location, etc. Others set out on an adventure when they aren't quite sure what they want (or who they are) and are looking to find themselves and define what is next for them. Some people look to travel to shift perspectives, learn something, or celebrate a recent life accomplishment. Regardless of your personal motivations, transformational travel is for all of us!
What are the theoretical or research foundations for TT?
There are several, but foremost is Joseph Campbell's 3-step model of personal transformation called The Hero’s Journey.
The Departure / The Call to Adventure: The hero (you!) feels a general sense of discontentment or longing for something different and answers the 'Call to Adventure' by committing to set out on a great adventure. After a period of preparation, the hero leaves the familiar world and ventures into the unknown world in search of growth, transformation, and change.
The Initiation / The Road of Trials: Once the hero crosses the 'Threshold of Adventure,' they are faced with a series of challenges that push their comfort zones and through which their true character is revealed. This may include physical adventures, immersive cultural experiences, powerful conversations with others, and time for personal reflection.
The Return & Rebirth: The hero returns to the 'normal world' with a renewed sense of self, fresh perspectives of the world, new skills, valuable lessons learned, and lifelong relationships. The hero then shares all of these gifts with others to positively impact their friends, family, and community.
How can I learn more about TT for myself or for my company?
Simple – Explore the 'For Travelers' and 'For Travel Trade' sections of the website for ways to get involved and to learn more. You can also contact any member of our team. We will be happy to tell you more about how travel has changed our lives and explore how we can help you have a transformational travel experience!